The historic Kandaswamy Temple stans at Nallur 1 1/2km from Jaffna on the Point Pedro Road. The temple was built in the 15th century, by Sanpaha Perumal the adopted son of Bhuvanekababhu, the king of Kotte, who led an expedition to the North and brought Jaffna under the suzerainty of Kotte.
Having established himself as the ruler of the Jaffna Kingdom, Sanpaha Perumal set about the task of building the city and erecting the temple. Then he appointed Vijayabahu as the ruler and returned to Kotte. After some time, the deposed king Kanagasuriyan attacked and drove away the invader, He and his descendants managed the Nallur Temple up to the arrival of the Portuguese. Bhuvanekabahu’s name nae is still mentioned by the ssher on ceremonial occasins.
The Portuguese defeated Sankili, the last king of Jaffna in 1560. The Portuguese General Philip de Olivera demolished the historic Kandaswamy Temple in 16210 the temple then stood at SANKILI thopu on the eastern side of the Point Pedro Road (The site was later used for erecting a Christian Church)